Taco Bake Casserole
If you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal, this Taco Bake is the perfect recipe! It only takes a few minutes to prep, it’s always a hit with my family, and it our favorite taco dish (well- it’s tied with the mini taco pizza recipe which the kids love.)
This taco casserole has a lot of protein, which is awesome, but the best part is that it adds in a great Mexican flavor which makes it a really popular casserole dish in our family.
TACO BAKE CASSEROLE
Eggs, cheese, turkey ground meat, and taco seasoning makes a classic Mexican inspired flavor combination! This taco bake is different from normal taco night since you aren’t using flour tortillas or taco shells.
The best part of this great recipe is that just like the recipe for taco casserole cups, it is quick to make.
It only takes about 40 minutes from start to finish (including cook time) and you’re enjoying a great dish that is filled with flavor!
TACO BAKE INGREDIENTS
- 1 pound of meat
- 1 carton Egg Beaters
- 1 taco seasoning
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup salsa (I prefer fresh salsa or I’ll use my husband’s Homemade Pico De Gallo)
- salt & pepper to taste
SUBSTITUTIONS and OPTIONAL ADDITIONS
MEAT: This recipe works well with lean meats containing low saturated fats. I typically use ground turkey, lean ground meat, a plant-based meat, or a beef mixture which includes low-fat ground beef or turkey, mixed with equal parts plant-based meat. You can also add more meat if you need to serve more people.
EGGS: You can add a larger container of egg beaters if you want to have more servings. I’ve also used whole eggs, in place of egg beaters, and I’ve found that the taste isn’t much different. (I have not tried egg-whites only.)
BEANS: You can add beans for extra texture, protein, and fiber. Try a can of refried beans or a can of black beans- just be sure to rinse and drain them before adding them to the taco bake.
VEGETABLES: While I included salsa in this recipe because I love the flavor that it adds, don’t be afraid to try adding some of your favorite vegetables. A can of (drained) diced tomatoes, a spoonful of tomato sauce or paste, fresh tomatoes, Pico de Gallo, diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel).
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS:
HOW TO MAKE TACO CASSEROLE
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
While the oven is preheating, cook your meat (ground lean turkey) on a skillet over medium high heat until it is cooked through. When it is cooked, add in the taco seasoning to make taco meat. Combine well and set aside.
You will be putting the taco bake into a baking dish (any size will do, but I prefer a 9 X 13). Spray your dish with cooking spray to prevent your food from sticking.
Now it’s time to mix the ingredients of your your taco bake to create your recipe. I usually combine everything right in the baking dish because it’s easy. 🙂
Start by putting the taco meat on the bottom of the greased (or sprayed) baking dish. Next, add the eggs to the taco meat and mix it together.
If you are adding salsa, beans, or any other ingredients, this is the time to do it, as well.
Combine all of your ingredients with the taco meat & eggs and then you’ll be ready to bake it (you will add the cheese at the end.)
BEFORE adding the cheese to the casserole, you are going to bake it. Put it into your preheated oven and then bake it for 30 minutes, uncovered.
Remove it from the oven and sprinkle 1/2 of cheddar cheese on top of the casserole (you can add more if you prefer it to be cheesier.)
To melt the cheese, put it back into the oven for about five more minutes or until the cheese is melted.
By now your house smells like amazing Mexican street food! YUM! When the cheese is melted, the dish is done. Voila! Remove it from the oven and enjoy!
The best part of taco casserole is that it’s so versatile. This recipe can be changed up to fit your taste or diet needs.
You can add any toppings to your taco bake including fresh salsa, green onions, homemade fresh pico de gallo, cilantro, black olives, peppers, and even onions. It’s great with a dollop of sour cream, too.
SIDE DISH IDEAS:
You can get creative with side dishes, or stick with rice or tortilla chips (although adding a layered taco dip for the chips would be a hit in our household!) 🙂
Trust me – no matter how you top it or eat it, this easy taco egg bake casserole is one that everyone will love!
If you want something sweet for dessert, I’d suggest making our dump cake! The cake takes only a few minutes to prep (and only a few ingredients), and it is the most delicious cake ever! It’s another family favorite. We even make a peach version of the dump cake, too (with only three ingredients!).
Do you have leftover ingredients? Try using them in different recipes!
MEAT: If you end up with leftover taco meat, you can use it to make these taco casserole cups.
TOPPINGS: Use them as toppings for Mini Taco Pizzas.
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS: Most of the ingredients from this recipe can easily be used in this
Layered Taco Dip.
OTHER TACO RECIPES:
Check out these other taco dishes that we make on a regular basis…
EASY DESSERTS YOU’LL LOVE:
- If you are looking for a simple, yet delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe, we have it! My husband’s grandma shared her secret ingredient with me years ago and I’ve been adding it to my cookies ever since. It makes the chewiest and softest chocolate chip cookies!
- Another favorite of mine is this frozen peanut butter & chocolate pie. It is perfect for a hot day!
- Oh! Speaking of a cold treat on a hot day, if you want something to sip on when it’s hot out, be sure to make this Frozen Southern Strawberry Lemonade. It’s delicious!
Taco Bake Casserole
- One small container of egg beaters
- 1 lb. ground meat (lean turkey)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook 1 lb. of meat in a skillet over medium high heat until cooked.
- Add in taco seasoning. Mix and set aside.
- Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with cooking spray
- Place the taco meat mixture in the baking dish
- Add eggs, 1/4 cup fresh salsa, and any optional ingredients (salsa, beans, etc.) right into the baking dish and gently mix until combined.
- Bake in the baking dish for 30 min at 350.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the top of the casserole with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Put it back into the oven for five more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven. You can top it with a little fresh salsa, pico de gallo, cilantro, or a small amount of sour cream if you choose. Enjoy!
The best part of taco casserole is that it’s so versatile. You can add a can of (rinsed & drained) black beans or refried beans to the dish (before baking). You can even add more salsa (or omit it.) There are many toppings that work, too, including fresh salsa, green onions, homemade fresh pico de gallo, cilantro, black olives, peppers, onions, or sour cream.
Leave a Reply