This chilled Southwestern Quinoa Salad is the perfect (easy) recipe! If you are just starting on your Clean-Eating journey, check out this post: How to start eating clean. In an effort to eat a healthy diet and enjoy lots of different recipes, I am CONSTANTLY scouring Pinterest for new Clean Eating Recipes.
I have ended up becoming quite the fan of quinoa and now make it multiple times per month. Quinoa is a great gluten-free option and packs a lot of punch with all 9 essential amino acids! Does it contain lots of protein, fiber, and iron…what’s not to love?
Chilled Southwest Quinoa Salad
1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups water
1 (15 oz.) can black beans
1 (15 oz.) can reduced sodium whole kernel corn
1 large orange bell pepper, chopped
1/2 pint grape tomatoes sliced (I omitted these)
1 c scallions, sliced
1 c fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1 large lime (2 T “Real Lime”)
1 t pepper
2 t garlic powder
1 T chili powder
Cook quinoa as directed on package. Once the quinoa is completely cooked, fluff the quinoa with a fork and set it aside to cool.
- Drain the black beans and the corn in a colander and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Pat dry with a paper towel and pour the beans and corn into a large bowl.
- Add chopped orange bell pepper, sliced grape tomatoes, sliced scallions, and chopped cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, black pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, and toss well.
- Add the cooled quinoa to the salad and toss well, making sure that the salad is evenly coated with the dressing.
- Season to taste with additional black pepper, garlic powder, or chili powder.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled.
MORE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Thanks to Heather for today’s post:
Heather of My Life Well Loved: a healthy lifestyle blogger married to my love, Eric. We’ve been married 8 years and I love him so much! We had our first baby last year and I’m chronicling my entry into motherhood with Leyton Samuel. I work in social media and also teach at Pure Barre.