I had to share these easy blueberry muffins with you- by far the BEST Blueberry Muffin recipe ever (and the easiest!). Tender and fluffy, these muffins are super easy to make and packed with delicious blueberry flavor.
There may be a lot of blueberry muffin recipes out there, but once you eat one of these…you’ll be hooked and never search for another recipe again – a true family favorite.
These muffins are moist and tender and have the perfect number of blueberries.
FIRST, LET’S TALK BLUEBERRIES: FRESH OR FROZEN
I love using fresh blueberries whenever possible when baking. I am using fresh blueberries in this recipe but when blueberries are out of season or on the pricey side, I don’t hesitate to grab some frozen blueberries.
Frozen blueberries are great to use because they tend to be more affordable and the quality is outstanding because the blueberries are always picked when they are in season and ripe.
FROZEN BLUEBERRIES – SHOULD YOU THAW BEFORE USING?
There are some different opinions on how to handle frozen blueberries before baking. I have tried them all when it comes to baking these blueberry muffins and I have found that using the blueberries in a frozen state works best.
Thawed blueberries will have a lot more moisture than usual, causing them to bleed into your batter. In the end, you will end up with blueberry muffins that have a lovely greenish-blue tint to them.
If you plan to use frozen blueberries in this recipe, keep the berries frozen until just before using and roll them in a bit of flour (coating them well) before folding them into your muffin batter.
I’m telling you; no one will know you didn’t use fresh blueberries!
No matter what, this recipe works great for fresh or frozen, making it easy for you to use this Best Blueberry Muffin recipe throughout the year!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
This blueberry muffin recipe is super simple to put together – making it the perfect baking activity to do with kids.
Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees F. This higher temperature will ensure that your muffins will rise nicely.
Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with cookies spray or line with paper liners.
Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl and set aside.
Beat the milk, oil, egg, and vanilla a separate bowl and then pour it into the flour mixture. Stir until flour mixture is just moistened (be sure not to over-mix, the batter will be lumpy).
Fold blueberries into the batter.
**If you are using frozen blueberries, place frozen blueberries in about ½ cup flour and toss until well coated and then fold into the muffin batter.
Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling close to the top of each cup. I like to use an ice cream or cookie scoop.
Bake for 18-20 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and an inserted toothpick test comes out clean. Serve warm.
Optional: You can add a simple crumb topping.
MORE DELICIOUS MUFFIN RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:
Be sure to check out some of my other favorite muffin recipes that are sure to become family favorites!
Quick and Easy Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, picked over Frozen blueberries can be used. Keep frozen.
- 1-1/4 cups sugar plus 1 Tablespoon
- 2-1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Grease 12-cup muffin pan with cookies spray or line with paper liners
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a large bowl and set aside.
- Beat the milk, oil, egg, and vanilla a separate bowl and then pour into flour mixture. Stir until flour mixture is just moistened (be sure not to over-mix, batter will be lumpy).
- Fold blueberries into batter. **If you are using frozen blueberries, place frozen blueberries in about ½ cup flour and toss until well coated and then fold into muffin batter.
- Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling close to the top of each cup.
- Sprinkle top of each muffin with some sugar.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and an inserted toothpick test comes out clean. Serve warm.