Elf on the Shelf Ideas (the best ever!)
I wanted to share these Funny Elf on the Shelf Ideas today because our kids have been asking when our Elf, Gilbert, will be back… they started asking on October 1st! They are ready to take funny Elf on the Shelf pictures!
MY LATEST VIDEOS
Elf on the Shelf Ideas
Yes, sometimes our elf forgets to move... but when he remembers, he sure makes the kids laugh!
25 Funny Elf on the Shelf Ideas
Most of these easy elf on the shelf ideas are geared towards our sons because our daughter wasn’t old enough to “get it” until after I put these ideas together. Oh- if you don’t have an elf, you can get one with my affiliate link on Amazon here.
Once you get your Elf, it’s time to start letting your elf have fun.
Since our Elf Arrival, our kids have LOVED waking up each morning to find their elf and to see what he was doing that day! Our elf even left some kid stocking stuffers this year!
This year is going to be really fun with these new Elf on Shelf ideas that my husband and I have found! I hope our Elf does one or two of these…
Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- Have him eating pancakes (our Elf on the shelf likes to make mini green pancakes)
- Have a ball pit (from Homeschooling Fun with Lynda)
- Have him change the oil in the car: (Check out what the oil & spill are REALLY made of here)
- Give him a lightsaber and have him light up the room!
- Let the Shelf Elf announce his return with M&M’s spelling out I’m Back
- Set out new clothes (our kids love a&f clothes!) for the kids.
- Sully’s food truck from Homeschooling Fun with Lynda.
- Or he could make his Elf on the Shelf Arrival in an airplane with a note about his flight from the North Pole (or bring a note straight from Santa himself!)
- Let him swing on his elf-made swing in the door frame using a toilet paper roll & string.
- Our boys love cars- our Elf loves to ride around at night, like this elf, on the kid’s cars and toy trucks!
- Or why not ride around on the dog’s back? The elf can hold tight (with his velcro hands) onto the dog’s collar and be there all day long!
- Let him shave like Daddy… that’s always funny to see (& to clean!) A little shaving cream on his face and a razor without the blade will do the trick nicely for an elf!
- Does your elf ride around on toy Dinosaurs? Ours does!
- Let him Fish for Cookies (our elf likes to hang from our light fixture in our kitchen after my cookie exchange every year)
- Is your Elf the Hero that catches the Grinch & changes his heart? Such a cute idea to have the stuffed Grinch caught in a glass jar!
- Help your Elf make this adorable car & tree ornament for your kids!
- Let him have a snowball fight with another toy- mini marshmallows to the rescue!
- They can be so mischievous, even making an awesome family photo look silly with little mustaches!
- They can even draw on Dad while he is asleep!
- Let your Elf become a pirate! Find out what the hat & patch are made of here.
- Let him build a snowman in your freezer out of crushed ice and use felt as a scarf for the snowman & himself! (Keep it on a plate so you can bring it to kid-level in the morning)
- Watch out that the Army Guys don’t tape him to the wall with painter’s tape!
Best & Funniest Elf on the Shelf Ideas for Boys!
- Elves love to play instruments… did you know that they are awesome guitar players? Yep- they can play the drums, too.
- Sometimes they like to hide… they hide in Silverware drawers and you don’t even find them until you get your silverware for breakfast!
- Let Elsa freeze your Elf, like this photo posted to Imgur.
- They hide in Legos (they can build a Lego fort and be inside with just their head, arms & legs sticking out!) …
- They even hide in Toilet Paper rolls! Be sure that you can see their heads and tell your elf to write a little message on the toilet paper roll “I like to play Hide & Seek”
- Make your elf a spiderman!
- Let your elf use your son’s car slipper like a real car (who knows … maybe it becomes a real car at night?)
- Let them be one of the Ninja Turtles. A friend recently saw this on Facebook & sent it to me … and I think it fits right in!
Best and Funniest Elf on the Shelf Ideas for Girls!
- Create your own version of The Nutcracker by letting your elf and her friends recreate the show.
- Does your elf love science…maybe a little too much? Create a mad scientist lab!
- Even elves love to go to the spa! Cut up some cucumber eye masks and lounge in spa slippers and a robe.
- Roller skating is so much fun and your elf may agree! Strap on some mini-skates and let her roll!
- Have you ever tried a zip line? It might be one of your elf’s favorite things to do! Hook her up to a DIY elf harness and let her zip line across the room.
- Have a cookie baking contest between your elf and some of her favorite pint-sized pals!
- If Amelia Earhart is one of her heroes, your elf will love dressing up in a puffy parka jacket and flying through the house in a toy airplane.
- Your elf might be mischievous, but she has a soft side for animals. Let her be a vet for the night and take care of the (stuffed) animals in the house.
Best Elf on the Shelf Ideas
- Our elf, like this one, likes to read a Bible verse before bed, using the mini Bible that I used to carry down the aisle.
- Is your son a Minecraft Fan – make him a mask!
- Or maybe your Elf is a Star Wars fan and carries a LightSaber made out of a glow-stick?
- One of my favorites is the full-grown elf AKA: Dad in an Elf Costume.
- Before our elf leaves, he always has Santa take a picture of how he flies around our living room. It is the thing that our kids ask for every year on Christmas Eve. Find that post here (with directions)
Elf on the Shelf Names
Naming your elf on the shelf is fun! Need help finding a fun name? Here are 20 of our favorite elf names!
Pro-Parenting Tip: If your kids disagree about the elf’s name, write each name on a slip of paper and put them into a hat. Let mom or dad pick the name!
Girl Elf on the Shelf Names
Boy Elf on the Shelf Names
Elf on the Shelf Clothes
Elf life is great, but elves definitely like the latest fashions! If your elf is still in his original clothes, you might want to think about giving his wardrobe an update with these fun elf on the shelf clothes. They’re designed to fit your elf just right and are sure to be a hit.
Elf on the Shelf Clothes for Girls
Is your elf headed to the Christmas Ball? This like this one will make her feel like a holiday princess!
For more casual outings, the Snowflake skirt and scarf are sure to be a fashionable outfit choice.
Don’t forget those fun holiday parties! Your elf will be rockin’ around the Christmas tree in this 50’s-inspired reindeer skirt and saddle shoes.
Get ready to go Christmas caroling in style with this fur vest and plaid skirt!
Has your elf always secretly dreamed of being a ballerina? Then this elf-sized ballerina costume is the perfect outfit for her.
This festive holiday nightgown is the perfect Christmas Eve jammies!
Elf on the Shelf Clothes for Boys
Keep your elf warm and cozy in this stylish, green, Jingle Jam Hoodie. It comes complete with a pair of headphones, so he can listen to his favorite Christmas beats.
When he’s headed to the Christmas Ball, nothing beats the elf-size Dapper Tuxedo!
Let your elf express himself with this fun 3-pack of graphic tees.
Superman has nothing on our friend, Super Elf! Make sure he has his entire Super Hero costume before heading out to save Christmas.
If he’s not ready to be a superhero, your elf might want to dress up in Christmas tree and candy cane costumes instead!
With his vintage sweater and plaid shirt, your bowtie-wearing elf is all set for the elf office party!
Welcoming Elf on the Shelf to Your Family
When we first welcomed our elf to the family, it was with a lot of anticipation on our part and a bit of confusion from the kids. One morning he was just there and although we tried to explain his presence, it still was a bit confusing. Looking back now, I wish we would have had a welcome letter to introduce him to our kids.
Elf on the Shelf Welcome Letter
The Elf Welcome Letter is a friendly note from your elf explaining who he is, why he’s there, and what the kids can expect. I’ve seen some notes that really emphasize how the elf is watching all the time and reporting back to Santa. Personally, I find that a bit creepy and I know my kids would be a little bit freaked out about it. Who wants to think the elf is staring at them all day and night?!
Instead, I think a welcome letter should be warm and encouraging. After all, the holiday is about love and family – not tattling!
Elf on the Shelf Welcome Back Ideas
Including a welcome back letter when the elf arrives to visit your family for the holidays can be a great way to re-introduce him to your family’s routine. A simple note that says, “I’m back!” if he’s been there before if just fine. If you’d like to try something a bit different, here are 10 elf welcome back ideas to get your creativity flowing!
- Have your elf arrive in a package from “The North Pole” and turn up in the mailbox or via “EPS” – that’s Elf Parcel Service in case you’re wondering!
- Tape your elf to the outside of the front window with a sign that says, “I’m back!”
- Let him hang out in the breakfast cupboard so that when your kids open it to get their cereal, he’s right there waiting.
- Play a hide and seek game to find him somewhere in the house.
- Let your elf “cook” a big breakfast and be waiting for everyone when they come downstairs in the morning.
- Although your elf may be waiting in the family room for everyone to wake up, it just might be possible to see the reindeer hoof prints outside from when he arrived.
- Have your elf zip line across the room to signal his return.
- Create a welcome back video starring the elf as himself.
- When your kids pull back the curtains, have the elf “bungee jumping” from the curtain rod!
- Have him hiding in the fridge next to the milk while holding hot cocoa packets and a sweet note.
Ps- Do you want more ideas? Click the pictures below…