It is so important for us to continue teaching kids to create their own fun.
What does that look like to you?
Kids need unstructured play time. This means that you just let them play, without electronics, without a planned activity, without instructions. It encourages your kids to use their imagination and to explore. Often, by the time that our kids are 10-12 years old, they have been so trained to use electronics and rely on organized activities that they lose their willingness to just ‘play creatively.”
Here are a few things that you can do to encourage this type of play today…
– Give them a timer. I set mine for 45 minutes and they are allowed to go into the play room or into their room and just play.
– Give them some materials to use & let them create
– Give them a DIY creativity kit
-Set them up with some MatchBox Cars & let them have fun!
-Give them this DIY racetrack (or let them make one for $1)
– An armful of blankets (you wouldn’t believe how fun this is)
– Dump out the Legos or these Goldiblox toys & let them build!
– Let them explore outback with toy Airplanes and a cardboard box
– Let them make their own dinosaur from toilet paper rolls
– Or use those toilet paper rolls to allow them to build their own creations!
– Let them ‘cut the tree’s hair’ in the backyard with a pair of scissors (many of the trees in our woods have had ‘haircuts’)… you could enjoy a great book while you sit in and watch this little hair-cutting appointment.
– Put some stuffed animals in a cardboard box & tell them to have fun (that box will turn into a car, a house, an airplane…)
– Give them marshmallows and straws:
– A bucket of water, foil and some rocks (outside).
Really the list is endless- just grab some things and let them get busy creative! You will be amazed by what they come up with when given the chance to GET CREATIVE!
Towards the end of playtime, you can jump right in and play with your kids
Grab Our One-on-One Time Calendar
I'd love to send you 30 days of One-on-One time Ideas for you & your child!
Please enter your info below & I'll send it to your email inbox. 🙂