Here are a few tips that I think might help with a move…
- – Plan on ordering meals (we had take-out… mostly from Subway) for about 3 days straight. The reason? Until you get your food moved in and your kitchen the way that you want it. It was also much easier to not have to prepare a meal for our family when I knew that I wanted to use my time unpacking. I also stocked up on non-refrigerated foods that we could eat for lunch quickly (PB&J, fruit, etc…)
- -Keep your cleaning supplies in a box that you can unpack first. You will want to have this box handy.
- – Have friends help you to move the boxes (buy them dinner when they are finished- we just picked up a few pizzas and some beer/wine/pop for my family and friends)
- -Unpack the kitchen first (you will use this room the most) – here is how I organize the kitchen(cabinets & drawers)
- – I moved to our bedroom second (how I organize the bedroom) and the living room third (How I organize the living room).
- -The kids rooms were so easy to move- just dressers, beds & a few toy boxes. (organizing the kids room)
- – Put all of the toys in the play room (if you have one)- Here is how I organize and set up the playroom
- Have a place for everything & put everything in its place. You will keep the same system, just move it to a new house, which is what will make this easy.
- – When you come across a decoration (picture, etc…) just hang it up. Don’t let it sit for months because you “can’t decide”- just pick a place & hang it up. You can move it at any time down the road.
- NO ELECTRONICS for a few days! Just focus on getting organized! Wait to get online or watch TV until you are unpacked. These things slow down your work-pace because you can easily lose focus on what you are doing.
I hope that this was helpful!
Ps- We ended up having our daughter in this house, too. 🙂