This post brought to you by Gro-ables. All opinions are 100% mine.
I have purple/black/red thumbs (or whatever the opposite of green would be!) I kill plants inside of the house, I can’t keep ferns alive in our hanging baskets on the porch, I am horrible with watering, and yet I can grow a garden that our family loves. Really!
- I use a raised bed (it is SO easy to make, trust me!) with loose, organic, non-disturbed soil. If you have two 3X8 gardens and one trellis, it will feed a family of 3-5 people. Just be sure to leave enough space between your gardens so that they are not causing one to have a shadow on the other.
- Also, put them in sunlight. They need at least 6 hours of sunlight, every day.
If you want to have climbing vegetables like cucumbers or beans, a trellis is easy to make.
- Start with Gro-ables pre-packed seeds. They are a new product from Miracle-Gro that make it easy to grow your own food from seeds. This product makes it SO easy to grow your own food, even a first-time gardener will have luck with these. Gro-ables are guarenteed, when used correctly, so you know that you are getting something that is going to work. Plus, they are only $1.29 -$1.49 per packet, so they are a great deal. Check out how to buy groceries to make healthy and cheap meals. As you’ll see, for $1.29 a pack, you can’t beat that for growing your own food! They look like this:
- When your garden is ready and your seeds are planted, be sure to water the base of your plants 3 times a week for 5 minutes each (do not water the top, get to the base of your plants… Wet leaves will quickly kill your plant (this is why tomato cages are a No-No in gardens. They make it hard for leaves to dry.)
- DO NOT TRANSPLANT: Plants do not do as well if you transplant them, so plant your Go-ables whereever you plan to leave your plants. The only ones that should be transplanted (bought as a plant at the store and brought home for you to plant into your garden) are tomatoes and cucumbers. Grow the rest from Gro-ables seeds on your own.
- Do not till your garden. This stirs up the weeds.
- Plant-tone or worm castings make a good fertilizer, if you feel that you need one. (for one of the gardents, you want 10 lbs. of castings). Oh- and if you need to kill ants, you can get Spinosad. Its organic.
- My best advice for things to grow:
- Rare foods
- Things that are expensive at the market
- Nutritious foods
- Ongoing harvest (ex: fresno)
- Space Saving in the garden
I can’t wait to plant the Miracle-Gro® Gro-ables™ Zucchini Squash Seed Pod™ because I am ready to make my Mom’s Zucchini pie!
1 package crescent rolls
1 onion (sliced)
2 medium zucchini (sliced, but not peeled)
2 egg yolks (or egg beaters)
1/4 teaspoon of each: garlic powder, basil, oregano
Salt & pepper to taste
package of mozzarella cheese (2 cups)
OPTIONAL: 2 T. mustard (I like it with the mustard, personally!)
For more info on Gro-ables and easy gardening, see this video: