This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you are looking for a FUN treat for your family, you’ve come to the right place. Last week, the kids and I made individual microwave mug cakes… but in a bowl!
They turned out so cute! Thanks to Post for sponsoring this post & recipe.
Get ready for the best 2-minute cake you’ve ever had! This cake, using Post Pebbles Cereal, is made in individual bowls or mugs and is the most delicious, moist and colorful cake you’ve ever had! Plus, the vanilla icing soaks right into the cake… yum! The kids have a blast, too, because they can each make their own cake and make it however they want, using Fruity Pebbles cereal!
I’ll be the first to admit that when I decided the kids and I were going to make cakes in a microwave, I wasn’t so sure that it would be edible, let alone delicious. I’ve always assumed that cakes take a good hour between making them, baking them and decorating them. Two minutes seemed unreal, but sure enough… it was great (and so easy!)
This recipe, using Fruity Pebbles cereal, even has crunchy cereal bites throughout the cake. I like to use Fruity Pebbles cereal because it makes the cake look so colorful and bright, thanks to Fruity Pebbles iconic colors. Plus, the fruity flavors give the whole cake are so good (don’t be surprised if your kids say “Yabba Dabba Doo!”) 😉
You just start with a few basic ingredients: milk, flour, baking powder, sugar, butter, vanilla and Fruity Pebbles Cereal.
First, you are going to make the Cereal Milk, but putting your milk in a bowl with a few tablespoons of cereal. Heat it up for about 15-20 seconds in the microwave to allow the cereal to soften and let all of its yumminess run into the milk. Next, drain the milk into a separate bowl so you have your Cereal Milk:
Next, Combine the sugar, butter & vanilla in a greased bowl or mug.
Then add in the rest of your ingredients (including fresh Fruity Pebbles cereal). Sprinkle another teaspoon of cereal on top.
Microwave it for about 1-2 minutes, until it looks done.
Our kids LOVE the way that it looks… (and how it smells so yummy when it’s warm and freshly cooked)
You can top it with icing (the recipe that I’ve included below is the one that we use and it is so good!) or even something like Whipped Cream.
No matter how you make it, the kids are going to love it! It’s so fun and since everyone gets their own, it’s even more special.
Microwave Mug Cake
For the Cake
- 4 ½ Tablespoons milk be sure to follow the directions below with the milk
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Fruity Pebbles Cereal (divided)
For the Icing
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter. softened
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Fruity Pebbles
Instructions For the Cake
- In a small bowl, pour in milk and 3 tbsp of fruity pebbles. Mix the Fruity Pebbles around until they are completely soaked in the milk.
- Microwave the bowl of cereal for 20 seconds. Drain your milk into another bowl - you will want to use 4 Tablespoons of ‘cereal milk’ that comes out for your cake.
- Pour the cereal milk into a greased mini bowl or a greased large mug (at least 8 ounces).
- Add the rest of the ingredients, plus 2 Tablespoons of Fruity Pebbles cereal to your bowl or mug. Mix with a mini whisk or fork.
- Pour into a greased mug (at least 16 ounces). Add 2 more teaspoons of Fruity Pebbles cereal to the top of the cake before cooking.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds to 120 seconds, until it is completely cooked.
- It will rise.
For the Icing
- Mix all ingredients together and drizzle over cake. It will soak into the cake.
- Sprinkle additional 1-2 tsp of fruity pebbles over top of the cake. (Sometimes I even add Whipped Cream in place of the icing).