Easy Cherry Dump Cake
This 3-ingredient cherry dump cake is the perfect dessert. Cherries and cake mix come together in a “dump cake” creation that is so good your family will be asking for it weekly! This delicious easy cherry dump cake is so good, yet so simple, just like our 3-ingredient peach cobbler! No wonder it’s a family favorite!
Cherry Dump Cake
Cherries, butter, and cake mix come together to make a wonderful combination of flavors. The cake mix becomes buttery, crispy, and perfectly done after just 45 minutes in the oven!
You will need:
- 1 box of vanilla dry cake mix
- 2 cans cherry pie filling
- 1 Stick of butter (I usually use salted butter for this recipe, but unsalted butter works, too)
Helpful kitchen tools:
How to Make Cherry Dump Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour both cans of cherries into a prepared baking dish
- Spread it evenly along the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the vanilla cake mix on top of the cherry filling
- Slice the butter and lay the slices on the top of the cake, right over the cake mix.
- Once you have the entire cake covered in butter, you’re ready to bake it.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
This cherry dump cake recipe can be served warm or cold. Our son loves to eat it when it is fresh out of the oven. He puts a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and eats it before it all melts together.
I, on the other hand, like to let it sit out and reach room temperature before I eat it. I even like to refrigerate it and eat it cold.
No matter how you choose to enjoy it, you’re going to want more. There’s never enough! 🙂
Our kids love dump cake for the flavor, while I love it for the simplicity, too. You literally “dump” it all in a pan & bake it.
More Dump Cake Ideas:
- You can easily make other variations like this blueberry dump cake.
- If you would rather make this in a crock pot, just dump everything in, put it on low, and bake it for four hours.
- Make mini-cakes! I love making mini cherry pineapple dump cakes in a muffin tin by adding crushed pineapple in place of one of the cans of cherries & putting it into a muffin tin instead of a baking pan.
- Add toppings: a scoop of vanilla ice cream sprinkled brown sugar, chopped pecans, or whipped cream.
- You could also add 1 teaspoon of almond extract into the cherries after you dump it into the pan (before you sprinkle cake mix on top).
Admittedly, I love simple desserts with only a few ingredients! Here are a few more 3-ingredient recipes…
- 3-Ingredient Cookies
- 3 Ingredient Eggnog Snickerdoodle Muffins
- 3-Ingredient Pretzel Buttons
- 3-Ingredient Cherry Chocolate Fudge
MORE DESSERTS YOU WILL LOVE:
- This gluten-free version of our Cinnamon Roll Skillet Cake is a family favorite!
- When you have Mini Carrot Cakes that are shaped like actual carrots, they are an instant hit!
- If you’re up for a fun dessert, try making our fried ice cream! YUM!
Be sure to check out 10 More Things to Make Using Cake Mix.
Easy Cherry Dump Cake
- 1 box Vanilla Cake Mix
- 2 cans Cherry Pie Filling
- 1 Stick Butter
- Pour Cherry Pie Filling into perpared bakign dish
- Sprinkle cake mix on top of the filling
- Slice one stick of butter into small slices
- Lay butter slices on top of cake, evenly spaced
- Bake cake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes, until the top of the cake is golden brown