This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I don’t know about you but I am ready for some blue skies, sunshine and the warm weather that comes along with it. There is just something about the spring air that gets everyone outside and I just love it! But…what I don’t love is what I like to call the ‘Mommy March Madness’ leading up to those warms sunshine filled days!
March…in like a lion…out like a lamb…I think there is some truth to this and I am not talking about the weather. It takes a while to find a family rhythm when the seasons change. The madness can start with thoughts of not being ready to shed those clothing layers and quickly move to how you are running 1,000,000 miles a minute with work, keeping up the house and getting the kids to and from school, now we add spring sports practices into the mix! Like I said, Mommy March Madness! But here are 5 things you can do this month to stop the madness and start taking control!
- Take a time out – It’s important even among the chaos to take a minute for you. We tell our kids all the time how it’s important to have some down time. Who says the same doesn’t apply to Moms and Dads! It doesn’t have to be long 15-20 minutes. But make time to do something you enjoy…exercise, read, or make time to grab coffee with a friend. It just seems to make the whole day go smoother.
- Commit – Commit to changing ONE thing in your life for the month of March. Maybe it’s getting in 30 minutes of exercise or even eliminating sugar from your diet- but just one thing. You’ll be amazed how in just 30 days that one single thing becomes second nature and so ingrained that it becomes as natural getting dressed in the morning. Accomplishing this one change is so empowering and motivating. If exercise is your goal but time is short here is a great 10 minute no-equipment circuit that will get your blood pumping!
- Plan – There is a lot to juggle this time of year so plan ahead so that everyone in the family – including you knows what needs to be done for the day or week. Meal planning is a big part of that. Schedules are so rushed between school, homework and sports, who has time to cook a healthy meal? But a little planning ahead of time will prevent a huge headache during the week. And the magic ticket for meal planning for us is…the slow cooker! There are so many healthy meals that can be prepped and frozen ahead of time. Here is a go-to family favorite of ours: Slow Cooker Hamburger Soup.
- Schedule Family Time – It’s easy to get caught up in the craziness of the day but remember to set aside one night a week or month as Family Game Night. Choose a board game, play card games, make tacos, and just be together. Make it sacred time. This type of family time is stress relieving for the whole family. There’s laughter and bonding…it can recharge your batteries. And hey…did you know laughing is great exercise? That’s right…American researchers have found that 10-15 minutes of genuine giggling can burn off the number of calories found in a medium square of chocolate!
- Be Sure to Move – Physical exercise is essential for a healthy body and mind. If you aren’t already involved in an exercise program, take this month and use a pedometer. Work on reaching 10,000 steps a day. You’d be surprised how many steps a busy mom takes in a day.
Do you have a favorite way to keep the madness to a minimum?