Kindergarten Sight Words are words that kindergartners will see the most.
What are sight words?
Sight words is a commonly used term that usually refers to a set of words that reappears on almost any page of text.
In order to become a great reader, it is critical that children master their sight words. It is important to learn the sight words and to continue to practice them. Once your child has mastered them, it is time to move onto the next list.
Here is a FREE printable list of Kindergarten Sight Words (click here and I will send you the list)
PS- Be sure to read these 5 (non-academic) skills that your kids need to know before Kindergarten.
Here is HOW you use this list:
- Introduce your child to the list (show your child, hang it up, read them).
- Read all of the words to your child (every day) and explain that he will be learning a new word every day (or every other day). Be excited about it.
- On day one, see if your child knows any of the words. If they do, put a sticker, a checkmark or a smiley face to the left of the word (there is space for that). If not, that’s OK! He will.
- Every single day, go over the new word, as well as the OLD words that they know. I start out by going over the old words with the sticker and then picking a new word. I say it, spell it, say it again and ask my child to repeat it. During the day, we will talk about that word and go back to the wall where it is hanging to look at it. I do this at least three times. I keep my chart in the pantry, so anytime our kids eat a snack or want to grab something, they see the words.
- Continue to add a sticker, checkmark, or a smiley face to their new words, until the whole list has been completed. From then on, you can just review them every day or every few days.
When your child is looking at these words on a daily basis, they will learn them quickly. Repetition is the key to fluency (reading smoothly, without a lot of pauses), so practicing these words over and over will help to achieve that goal.
You will also receive these lists for you to keep and use as the year progresses. There are 100 sight words on this list:
MORE POSTS YOU MIGHT LIKE: