I was talking to my brother a few weeks back when he told me about this new bottle-flipping thing that his students were doing (he is the principal at a local charter school and apparently they’ve been doing this for months). I had never heard of it. I kid you not that around two hours after we talked, I heard this ‘thump…. thump…. thump…’ noise coming from right outside of our garage.
Our ten-year-old son was trying his hand at flipping a bottle.
The next night, we went to a homecoming fundraiser that my brother had to attend at the school where he worked. If you look around, you would easily see 15 kids flipping bottles all at once.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
So, I asked on my Facebook page and the responses were quick and in the hundreds: “MY kids are doing it!” “What? MINE, too!!!” and “IT is driving me crazy!”
Turns out they are flipping bottles everywhere & anywhere. Tonight, our kids went to a color-run charity event and my husband said that during the race (he ran it with our oldest son), he passed about 25 kids flipping bottles while watching the runners. The new craze has officially taken over.
It’s simple- it is always accessible, it is a skill you need to master & the payoff is immediate.
It started in our town with Michael Senatore, but apparently, it has made itself to every other state & even other countries. Michael flipped a bottle for a talent show, when he didn’t have an idea of what to do:
Turns out it was a hit and it took over… people everywhere (even the guys of Dude Perfect) are trying their hands at it:
The good news- there are a lot of benefits to it:
WHY IT’S A GOOD THING:
- Understanding (and teaching) the science behind it:
- Encourages kids to get outside.
- Helps with fine motor skills.
- Increases focus, attention span and patience.
- Great way to unwind & relax.
- Encourage positive interaction among adolescents, because they CHEER for one another.
- They drink more water! (“You can flip it after you drink half. When it lands, drink the other half”)
- Entertain themselves
- They try new tricks & try to think of ways to beat their own record.
And of course… a few rules don’t hurt:
1. No flipping at school (I’ve heard milk cartons are being flipped)
2. You can’t dump out water just to flip the bottle. You have to drink it.
Happy Flipping… think of it as the new Hacky Sack 🙂 Just another way to let loose…
In the meantime, if you would like to sign up for my FREE parenting course (I’ll email the course to you) and grab this free one-on-one time calendar,just click on it & I’ll get it over to you ASAP.
You might also like this post about our ‘tween’ getting older… and how it seems that all of that “hard work” when they were younger is paying off…:
It’s all worth it.
And this one is a favorite…
Will you lay with me?