This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you have a teen or tween in your house you know the struggle has suddenly become all too real. They have changed. They are growing up in a fast paced world and exposed to much more than you and I had probably ever dreamed up at their age.
Social media is everywhere for this age group. Not only do many of our kids have phones, tablets, and maybe even computers, but schools are now integrating the use of technology and it is streaming through their lives on a daily basis.
So lets get real on the matter. Social media is a part of our kid’s lives as much as it is our own, or maybe even more. Monitoring and staying educated in the matter is a must. Whether you are having a complete communication shut down with your child or you are worried they are being bullied this list of Ultimate Ways To Protect Your Teen & Tween With Social Media can truly help!
1. If you want to know the terms and lingo your teens and tweens are using in conversation then these 28 Terms and Acronyms you must know as a parent. Kids are gonna talk in code and the logistics of their conversations. Educate yourself with this handy list (example: POS = Parent Over Shoulder).
2. Cyber bullying is real. It happens to both children and adults. The best way to conquer this if your child becomes a target is to review just what safety measures must be taken. Check out these tips on How to Keep Your Kids Safe From Cyber Bullying. Talk to your kids. Be their friend- their safe place and trusting person that they can talk to at the end of the day.
3. Interacting with friends online is something this age group is doing everyday. Give them the resources and tools to identify and stand up to peer pressure whether they are in person or online is key to self confidence. These 9 Tips For Helping Your Tween or Teen With Peer Pressure include some really amazing things.
4. As a parent of a teen or tween protecting our kids is a top priority. Use these 9 Tips For Monitoring Your Child’s Social Media Access to give yourself a peace of mind in what they are being exposed to as well as set boundaries and define the lines appropriate for your child.
5. If you haven’t already noticed you may not be the easiest person to talk to according to your teen or tween. Or you may be struggling with effective ways to get down on their level and enrich your relationship. Here are some great tips for Improving Communication With Your Teen that are absolutely wonderful methods to create an open line of communication between you and your child.
6- Check out the three rules that we will never break when it comes to our kids & their online devices.
Don’t hesitate to ask questions about conversations with your teen or tween. They seriously may not be as open to having these little talks with you and it may become frustrating, but eventually it does become easier. It is important for your child to know the risks and dangers of social media and that your questions and insights are a mere way of you being protective of them and loving them unconditionally.
Do you have a tip that works great for protecting your kids and social media?
Crystal is a mom of five boys and Dallas-based mom blogger at Crystal & Co., where she has been sharing mommy resources and solutions since 2008.