This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Have you heard of Taco, Cat, Goat, Cheese, Pizza yet? If not, you’re in for a treat! I love playing card games with the kids… and this one makes the top of our list. It’s even become one of my go-to non-toy gift ideas for kids.
I have to admit that I’m pretty picky when it comes to games. However, if you can show me a fun game that isn’t complicated, doesn’t take forever to set up, and doesn’t have too many rules, I’m in! Even better is if everyone in our family can play together, everyone from our youngest daughter to our oldest son.
Well, I’ve officially found that game… It’s fun for every single person in our family & it checks all of the boxes! 😉
One day, I received an email from Dave at Dolphin Hat Games. He introduced us to the card game, Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza! We were invited to partner with Dolphin Games for this post, try out the game, and share what we think.
Fast forward a few days. I brought the cards out & had them on our kitchen counter when our two older boys came downstairs. Apparently, I was the only one out of the “what’s cool” loop, because they knew all about the card game & they were thrilled!
“Mom?! You got Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza! No way! That’s awesome! We’ve seen it everywhere! Can we play now?”
It didn’t disappoint.
We have played this game almost every night since it arrived. Some nights we play for ten minutes, other nights we play for almost an hour! I don’t think we’ve laughed that hard in a long time!
Why We Like Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza:
This game is perfect for a family or for friends. Here are the top reasons that we like it:
- Easy to learn (if you’re looking for easy card games for kids, this works! It’s recommended for ages 8+)
- There are only a few rules to remember
- Quick playing time (It takes us about 10 minutes per round)
- The kids loved it & so did we (when we find a game that we ALL like, it’s a keeper!)
- The perfect family game, party game, or for game night
How many cards are in Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza?
The deck of cards includes 64 playing cards and two instruction cards.
How many players do you need for Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza?
The recommended number of players is 3-8. Typically, we play with our family of six. I snapped this picture when we played the other night. 😉
How do you play Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza?
Tip: Take off your rings before you play. My kids remind me each time that we play;)
- Shuffle cards.
- Each player is dealt an even number of cards. The cards are dealt face down to all players (no peeking). The number of cards changes depending on how many people are playing. If there are extra cards, just place the discarded cards in a pile off to the side.
RULES and GAMEPLAY:
- Don’t look at the card in your hand until it is flipped on your turn.
- The first person to go takes the top card from their pile and flips it face-up into the center of the table (or floor).
- While they are putting the card in, they say “TACO” and flip the card to see the picture as they are placing it into the center. Everyone should see the card picture at the same time, so we have our kids say the word first & then flip the card while placing it into the center of the table.
- The next player goes (the player left of the dealer). They put their face-up card on top of the last player’s card (in the face-up pile) while saying “CAT”
- You continue in this way, while the players take turns saying “Taco,” “Cat,”“Goat,” “Cheese,” “Pizza,” “Taco,” “Cat,” “Goat,” “Cheese,” “Pizza,” …etc) until the following happens:
- The card just laid matches the card spoken by the player
(e.g., they put down ‘Pizza’ while saying, “Pizza!”)
- When this happens, you slap a match… All players must SLAP their hands onto the top of the pile of cards in the center.
- The last player to slap the pile of cards has to take the entire pile (all of the remaining cards in the center) into their hand. The player collects the cards & put them at the bottom of their pile.
- He/She then starts off the next round, starting back at the top of the list, saying, “Taco,” the next player, “Cat,” next “Goat,”…ETC”.
The Special Card Twist:
There are three special types of cards in this game: Gorilla, Groundhog, Narwhal.
When a special card is revealed, the player has to do a special motion and then slap the pile. If a player does the wrong action or is the last to slap the pile, they must pick up the cards.
All Players beat their chests, then hit the pile.
Slap both hands quickly on the table, then hit the pile.
Slap your hands above your head to form a horn, then hit the pile.
How do you win Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza?
The player with zero cards wins the game. When a player runs out of cards, they must go one full round (each player gets a turn until it gets back to that player without the cards) without picking up any new cards. If they still have no cards left, they win the game!