This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Thanks to the Mom It Forward Blogger Network and our sponsor, Wet Ones® for partnering with me today for this great giveaway!
Our family LOVES going to amusement parks! We go often and if we ever travel to different areas, we try to find a park close to where we will be, to try out new ones. The problem is that they are so expensive. Why is it so expensive? We would need two hotel rooms, plus food, ticket costs… you get the point.
Here are 5 ways to beat the cost & go for less:
1- Find better tickets! Look for promotions!
Right now Six Flags has a great deal going on.
- If you Buy: A participating Wet Ones® Antibacterial Hand Wipes product (Canisters, Singles and Big Ones®; excluding 15ct & 20ct Travel Pack Sizes) between 5/1/16 and 7/15/16.
- And then you Visit: www.WetOnesSixFlags.com and follow the directions to complete your request by 11:59:59 AM ET on 7/15/16
- You will Receive: A discount coupon for a FREE Six Flags® weekday kids ticket (up to a $51.99 value) with the purchase of a full price general admission ticket on weekdays (Monday-Friday) OR $10 off one (1) full price general admission ticket on weekends (Saturday-Sunday).
- Don’t forget you must make the qualifying purchase 5/1-7/15/16. Offer expires 11:59:59 AM ET on 7/15/16. It is void outside of the 50 United States and DC and where prohibited. Printer required. Subject to full Terms and Conditions. www.wetonessixflags.com.
2. Book a house instead of a hotel room!
You see, hotels are usually set up for families of 4. It is very hard to find a hotel that can fit our family of 6, without costing a fortune (and if you have kids, you can understand how expensive raising a family can be!) We have tried to get two rooms, but that means that our family is split up and then it sort of contradicts the reason for the vacation- togetherness.
Now, we just book a house using VBRO or a similar site, for less than 1/2 the cost of a hotel, and we usually have enough room for a few other families to join us (my parents and my brother’s family). We do this when we go to the beach, too!
3. Make your own meals:
If you rent a house, go to the grocery store when you get there. We found a grocery store right near our house and just went shopping when we got there. We grabbed everything that we needed for the week and we took our leftovers home in our cooler at the end of the trip. With a house, you have your own kitchen right there with you, so just take what you need every day. You can come back home for dinner and a little rest before going back (or staying home & swimming in your pool!) No need to spend money on food just because it is prepared by someone else.
Lunch works the same way: Just grab your sandwiches, keep them in a cooler and take them to the park. We throw some Wet Ones® Antibacterial Hand Wipes into our bag so we can clean our hands before and after we eat. Wet Ones® Antibacterial Hand Wipes are the 2-in-1 way to wipe out dirt and messes and kill 99.99% of germs when soap and water aren’t available. Our older kids like to take their own backpacks, so they each take a pack, too.
4. IF you eat MEALS at the park...
If you DO want to eat at the parks, eat your biggest meal for lunch, when the prices are cheaper. Save your snacking or smaller meals for dinner. (Also- the kids portion of food is a lot bigger at amusement parks when you buy them at the concession stands, so an adult could get away with ordering a kid-sized portion). Plus, if you get them at concession stands, they are quicker, so you are back on the ride in no time…
Also, you could just split the snacks for your kids. We bought one ice cream cup and split it into two cups. Or… if we are only eating one thing at the park, but having our other meals at home, we will let the kids get one snack (usually ice cream) before we leave to head home.
We did this for double cheeseburgers too. You can buy an extra bun for a fraction of the cost and turn one cheeseburger into two. Be sure to take Wet Ones® Antibacterial Hand Wipes in case a sink is out of reach to clean your hands before you eat. You can keep some in your purse or pocket. We keep a 40 count canister in the car (like this one…)
Plus I keep travel packs in my purse (they feature a new Wet Lock™ seal technology that is proven to help the wipes retain 15% more moisture) and a few of the individually wrapped single wipes in our pockets. We just ordered Wet Ones® hand wipes from the grocery store when we shopped ahead of time (you can pick them up at most stores).
Giveaway: 4 TICKETS TO SIX FLAGS!
You will receive four (4) tickets for a reader giveaway that are valid for the 2016 operating season only. In your blog post, please include a giveaway. Here are the details:
- Prize: One winner will will tickets to Six Flags tickets.
- Entry Requirements: Please leave a comment of your best money-saving tip.
- Duration: Giveaway ends on Thursday the 21st.