I love cooking with only a few ingredients- it makes my life so much easier (compared to cooking with a lot of ingredients!) Today’s recipe will take just minutes to make and it is easy since the base of the soup is from today’s sponsor, Progresso™.
For dinner this week, we made a healthy yet satisfying healthier version of Potato Soup. We love to use our crockpot, but this recipe was so easy that we could make it in ten minutes on the stove, so we didn’t need our crockpot this time.
This recipe was first seen on Progesso’s website, but they have asked me to come up with a lower-fat version of it, so here goes. 🙂
Recipe yields 5 servings.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 1/2 cups diced peeled russet potatoes (about 3 medium)
- 1 medium stalk celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 cups. of Progresso™ chicken broth (they also make unsalted chicken & vegetable)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt & 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can Fat-Free evaporated milk
- 1 cup (8 oz) shredded American and Cheddar cheese blend
- OPTIONAL ~ 4 slices of bacon or turkey bacon
Yes, I used a lot of canned foods, because canned foods help you save prep time and get a healthy, homemade meal on the table more often. I keep most of these items in my pantry to help me make quick, nutritious meals every night.
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, onion, celery, broth and pepper.
- Bring this mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cover.
- Simmer for 15-18 minutes or until vegetables are easy to cut.
- Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup milk until smooth; stir into potato mixture.
- Add the remaining milk and bring it back to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes (this will be thick).
- Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese until melted.
Do you want more soups? Here are 25 Fall Soup Recipes!
I also love this Weight Watcher’s Spinach Tortellini Soup