This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A few years ago, we had a Disney Cars themed birthday party and today I wanted to share a fun treat that we made for the party! I just found these pictures again today, while the kids and I were looking through our son’s old birthday party pictures. Time goes so fast!!
I hope that you love making these Disney CARS Traffic Light Treats with your kids!
CARS movie: Rice Cereal Traffic Light Treats
No matter how busy things get, I always try to make time to cook with my kids. I have learned that by using fun, relevant themes and recipes, my children are more excited and engaged to partake.
Plus, the teacher in me wants to remind everyone that engaging our kids in cooking is a great way to work on reading (recipe cards), math (measuring) and science (turn a liquid into a solid!). I try to choose simple treats that don’t have too many steps so that my kids can lead the way! It’s a great way to let them gain confidence in themselves and bond with you.
Inspired by one of my kids’ favorite movies – Disney Pixar Cars 3™ – here is a recipe to create Rice Cereal Traffic Lights.
Ingredients to make Rice Cereal Traffic Lights:
- 6 cups crisped rice cereal
- ½ stick butter
- 1 bag marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Chocolate-colored candies
Directions to make Rice Cereal Traffic Lights:
1. Let your child separate the chocolate-colored candy by colors. We took out the red, yellow and green candy to make lights.
2. Next, put the ingredients in a saucepan except for the chocolates.
3. Melt it over low heat, mixing constantly.
4. Pour the mixture into the bowl of cereal. (Note: it will be hot, so be cautious!)
5. Press the mixture into a sprayed baking dish. Use the back of a buttered spoon to pat it down.
6. Start putting your candies onto the treats before they cool down.
7. For fun, I added little sticks to ours & put some mini candies on a few of them, to make bite-sized treats for the kids.
Now just let them smell work its magic as your family soon gathers around the treat!
Watch how quickly the treats go! Baking with your family is always a wonderful way to spend time together. They will remember it fondly as they grow up and they will bake with their own kids. It’s a great gift to pass down… the gift of learning that baking is time well spent with family.
Ps- Instead of toys or candy give a favor that the families can use! We gave out these adorable BAND-AID® Brand Adhesive Bandages and Cars 3™ bubbles.