This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Welcome to the Declutter Challenge!
I posted this a few years back, and it continues to be one of my most-used cleaning challenge, so I wanted to share it again today and invite you to Join our free 30-day Declutter Challenge!
Why We Declutter
Sometimes, we just feel tired of organizing stuff. In fact, we spend so much time organizing and re-organizing stuff that it uses up our time, and then we can’t use that time to do the things we really love.
Get Started with the 30-Day Declutter Challenge
This 30-day Declutter Challenge is simply a month-long plan to help you get into each room of your house to clean it up, a little at a time. You are welcome to get started RIGHT NOW with this 30-day Declutter Challenge, which is free for you- just sign up here then you can immediately download it. I will also send it via email, along with some additional declutter tips and inspiration, to help you keep this up as an ongoing task.
Lastly, the most extensive of our declutter tools is our whole-home declutter course that you can purchase if you want to really dive in. The Whole-Home Declutter Course is a deep dive into decluttering, cleaning, and organizing every room and area in your house. It will have your home completely decluttered quickly. We leave no area untouched in that course.
How to Start Decluttering When Overwhelmed
Starting with a challenge, set up for a specific amount of days (like our 30-day declutter challenge) is a great place to start. Once you’ve set a base habit for decluttering, you will move into the rest of your home.
Decluttering your home can feel overwhelming, so it’s important to break it down into areas. Think about your home in areas and pick a few things that you can do that will make a big impact on how your house looks and how you feel. Look at the rooms below: Kitchen, Bedrooms, Bathrooms, Office. This is just a starting point.
This 30-day Declutter Challenge is going to help you clear out the stuff that makes your house feel cluttered. When you declutter your home on a daily basis, it creates a habit that sticks.
WHY SHOULD YOU DO A 30-DAY DECLUTTER CHALLENGE?
It only takes a few weeks to create a habit, so this decluttering challenge is sure to help you achieve that.
When you declutter, you feel better.
“Decluttering has a domino effect on better living. “A clutter-free environment allows you to perform tasks of daily living more efficiently because everything you need is readily available and within reach,” she says, adding this leads to healthier habits.
For example, if your dishes are clean and properly stored, you’re more likely to eat at home and enjoy cooking. On a deeper level, Rojas says, “A clutter-free space also contributes to your well-being because you will subconsciously feel like you are providing yourself with a higher level of self-care.”
Decluttering may also help you feel better about yourself because it’s something of an accomplishment, says Dr. Robert London, a psychiatrist based in New York City. “The clutter leads to anxiety, embarrassment, family stresses – some kind of despair,” London says. “When you relieve the problem and learn to throw things away, you feel better.” ~ USA News
The idea is to start simple with this 30-day declutter challenge. Then when you are ready to REALLY do a deep-dive, join my Whole-Home Declutter Course and tackle every room in your home, from top to bottom.
Decluttering Your Space = Decluttering Your Mind
Did you know that clutter causes stress? It’s a proven fact. When you declutter your space, you are also relieving yourself of added stress. By spending just a few minutes a day on this decluttering challenge, you will be able to have more peace in your home because you will feel better about the space that you live in every day.
QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF WHEN YOU DECLUTTER:
Knowing what to keep and what to donate or throw away is essential, so these questions will help you understand where to begin.
- Is this item something I regularly use?
- If not, is this something that makes me happy?
- Could someone else use it more than me?
- Can I get away without having this in my life?
- When was the last time I used this?
- Am I keeping this out of obligation or expectation?
- Am I holding onto this because I think I should love it?
- Am I saving this just in case? for that “SOMEDAY?”
- Do I have multiples of the same thing?
- Could something else I own do the same job?
- Am I holding onto a broken item to fix “someday?”
- Is this item worth the time I spend cleaning/storing it?
- Could I use this space for something else?
- What’s the worst that could happen if I get rid of it?
When you’re learning the process of how to declutter your home, it is essential to set yourself up for success. This declutter challenge will help you reach your goals.
This challenge, when appropriately used, will encourage you to take on the tasks to declutter your home. If you’ve wondered how to organize your home, this challenge will help you in making decisions and finish with positive steps taken without looking like a tornado just went through your house.
DECLUTTER TIPS: What do I do with the extra stuff?
When getting rid of excess clutter, we have to make a decision about where that item will go.
When decluttering, it is important to sort your items and then decide if you need to donate or toss them. Take a look at the following six categories where each object could go.
- Grab a few boxes or trash bags so you may dispose of clutter accordingly and without hesitation.
- Print out the 30-day challenge and refer to them for guidance as you perform your regular declutter task.
- Do each day’s task reasonably quickly, so it doesn’t become a job that you dread.
- Have some clean dishtowels, paper towels, and all-purpose cleaner handy to clean up the area where you declutter.
- Put things back in an organized manner.
- If you decide to jump in & going for the Whole-Home Declutter Course, throw on some sweats/leggings, grab a pair of comfy house slippers, turn up some music and start to declutter!
DECLUTTER YOUR LIFE
Today is the day for you to begin to declutter your life and destress your mind by decluttering your home.