Our son’s preschool class was playing with Pumpkin Pie Play Dough this week. Their room smelled fantastic! The secret- it was flavored with pumpkin pie spice. WOW! I decided that I had to experiment at home to find a recipe for this for our kids to play with at home… and I made one that works!l
I wanted to share this with you because we made it together and all of the kids loved it, plus, it is non-toxic, so if they try to taste it, it isn’t harmful.
Here is the basic recipe for play-dough:
– 1 cup salt
– 2 cups flour
– 2 cups water
– 1 Tablespoon cream of tartar
– 2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
– 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Pumpkin Pie Spice (to bring out the fall smell).
– Red + Yellow food coloring to make it red (optional)
– Do the same color combo again, but more yellow to make it less orangy for another color
– Do it again, but more red to make it a deep orange for fall.
** Bonus: do a bright red & it will look like an apple & smell like apple pie (since the playdough smells more like “fall” than just “pumpkin” ~ your mind will smell what it sees. 😉
- To make this, you will just whisk all of the ingredients in a pan & put it on the stove.
- Cook it on medium heat for a few minutes.
- It will start out runny, but quickly form into a ball.
- When this happens (when it gets thick), remove it from the heat, but continue to stir it.
- When it is semi-cool, take it out and place it on a floured surface.
- Knead the dough.
- Sprinkle another 1/2 Tablespoon in and keep kneading.
- Store in a ziplock bag.
That’s it!! Easy, right?
Get my free book & tips!