Our son’s preschool class was playing with Pumpkin Pie Play Dough this week. Their room smelled fantastic! The secret- it was flavored with pumpkin pie spice.
I decided that I had to experiment at home to find a recipe for this for our kids to play with at home… and I made one that works!l
I wanted to share this with you because we made it together and all of the kids loved it, plus, it is non-toxic, so if they try to taste it, it isn’t harmful.
- 1 cup salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon cream of tartar
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- Food Coloring
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Pumpkin Pie Spice (to bring out the fall smell).
- OPTIONAL: Leaves, bottle lid, cinnamon stick, pipe cleaners, cloves & other fun tools!
- To make this, you will just whisk all of the ingredients in a pan & put it on the stove.
- Cook it on medium heat for a few minutes.
- It will start out runny, but quickly form into a ball.
- When this happens (when it gets thick), remove it from the heat, but continue to stir it.
- When it is semi-cool, take it out and place it on a floured surface.
- Knead the dough.
- Sprinkle another 1/2 Tablespoon in and keep kneading.
- Store in a ziplock bag or get busy building & playing!
OPTIONAL COLOR CHANGES:
If you want to change it up a bit & make multiple colors, here are a few tips:
Red + Yellow food coloring to make it orange (optional)
Do the same color combo again, but more yellow to make it less orange for another color
Do it again, but add more red to make it a deep orange for fall.
More fall colors:
Red + Blue = Purple
Blue + Yellow = Green
Do a bright red & it will look like an apple & smell like apple pie (since the playdough smells more like “fall” than just “pumpkin” ~ your mind will smell what it sees. 😉
That’s it!! Easy, right?
Get my free book & tips!