Several years ago, my sister in law started going on a field trip to Emerald Isle with her students. They were studying the many of the lighthouses in North Carolina and this was a field trip to go see a few of them. They went for a long weekend and spent their days exploring and learning. She always loved it. In fact, she would tell us stories of her trips and soon enough, our kids wanted to go…
This year, our son studied North Carolina in school. They studied our capital, our state bird, and the lighthouses. I learned as much as him. So… we made it a family learning lesson and took our own trip to the Crystal Coast.
I was so excited to work with Emerald Isle Realty for today’s post! When I was doing research before sharing the info today, I learned that Emerald Isle was given its name after a consultant was flying over it and said that it looked like a solid green gem in the middle of the ocean: green patches of forest surrounded by the turquoise colors of the ocean & beaches.
When we arrived at our house on Crystal Coast, called “The Boathouse” Sandcastle, we knew it was perfect for us!
Here is our view from the driveway:
Well- we loved it! We explored many areas that I wanted to share with you.
WHERE TO STAY AT CRYSTAL COAST:
I suggest going to Emerald Isle Realty for help finding the perfect house. They were extremely helpful.
The Boathouse is exactly what I would have picked. Look at the beautiful decorations:
Even the kitchen sink has a fantastic view (just like every other window in the house!)
The kids loved the hot tub, too.
We spent a lot of time biking, which is a vacation-must for our family:
WHERE TO GO WITH KIDS at Crystal Coast:
We stopped by the North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores. The kids loved seeing all of the animals (my favorite part was the Otter exhibit), but the kids LOVED the sharks!
This guy was a favorite…
Be sure to stop by the No. 1 National Park Beach: Cape Lookout National Seashore…
Visit the OLD BURYING GROUNDS:
“Old Burying Grounds” is a historic cemetery located at 400 Ann Street, Beaufort, Carteret County, North Carolina. It was established in 1724. There are approximately 200 stones from the pre- American Civil War era, amid moss-draped oaks.
N.C. MARITIME MUSEUM:
“A History in Boatbuilding” at N.C. Maritime Museum at 315 Front St, Beaufort, NC 28516 It serves as the official repository for artifacts from infamous pirate Blackbeard’s flagship, The Queen Anne’s Revenge.
Take the “Beaufort Ghost Walk” learn ghastly stories of betrayal, treachery, and tragedy from the Golden Age of Piracy, Colonial and Civil War eras, and the history of the Beaufort area, including the legends of the infamous pirate Blackbeard!
ACTIVITIES TO TRY:
- Discover tales of Beaufort’s rich past of pirates, star-crossed lovers, and more with Beaufort Historic Site via double-decker bus. Find more on Twitter: @Bft_Historic
- Stand-up Paddle Boarding/Kayaking to the Rachel Carson Reserve
- Enjoy wild horse encounters with Rod Howell, of Beaufort Paddle.
WHERE TO EAT AT CRYSTAL COAST:
• Lunch at Beaufort Grocery: experience subtle grace and charm reminiscent of a French country Bistro at America’s No. 1 Small Town
- El’s Drive-in: “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives” like the locals, eat at El’s Drive-in, famous for their Shrimp Burger and Super Burger.
- If you want some Sweet Treats, indulge in some ice cream and fresh fudge at The General Store and The Fudge Factory (they’re neighbors) at 515 Front Street & 400 Front Street #1, Beaufort, NC 28516
- In the mood for a drink while you watch the water? Enjoy the best painkiller around and take-in waterfront views of Taylor’s Creek at Front Street Grill at Stillwater; the ahi-tuna tacos are amazing.
- We went to Amos Mosquitos for dinner.
I’d say that everything on the menu was fantastic. Thursdays are both sushi and karaoke night. Be sure to get the S’Mores after dinner- you’ll LOVE how they serve it to you! OH… and enjoy this view from our table:
All in all, the trip was wonderful and we all had a great time! The chilly winter weather didn’t stop us from having a great time and enjoying the beach and all that Crystal Coast has to offer:
Grab Our One-on-One Time Calendar
I'd love to send you 30 days of One-on-One time Ideas for you & your child!
Please enter your info below & I'll send it to your email inbox. 🙂