This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Allergies can hinder your lifestyle. If you have severe allergies, you have probably noticed that they are worse when you are near carpeting, stuffed animals, drapes, etc… These tips for cleaning area rugs should help you to relieve some of those allergies.
First of all, the size of the area rug will determine how they should be cleaned:
Large Area Rugs:
- A large area rug would be cleaned as you would a wall-to-wall carpet.
- For larger rugs, place the braided rug on a waterproof flat surface.
- Taking a sponge, apply a commercial carpet cleaning foam onto the surface and rub gently, rinse and vacuum.
- Dry thoroughly on a flat surface before place back in use.
Small Area Rugs:
- If the rug is small enough, take it outside and shake it, then beat it vigorously to remove dirt and grime.
- Most vacuums do not pick and remove ALL the hairs pets can leave behind.
- Using a stiff brush and using motions in the direction of the nap of the rug, the bristles will pull the hair out.
- In some cases, if the area rug is small enough and depending on the material it’s made out of, they can be tossed into the washing machine and cleaned at home. However, it is recommended to check the manufactures label before cleaning area rugs
- It is recommended to place the smaller rugs into a zippered pillowcase or mesh laundry bag.
- Washing in cool water on a gentle cycle and rinsing thoroughly will increase the life of the rug.
- If they fit in the dryer, be sure to tumble dry on a low setting or it could break the stitching and the rug could fall apart.
- Foot traffic and sun can put added stress on area rugs.
- By turning them in a different direction each year, this can prevent unnecessary traffic patterns and even out the wear.
- Special type rugs such as woven or braided rugs require special cleaning and care.
- These types of rugs require the stitching to be checked for breaks before and after cleaning.
- Antique and vintage rugs require a more delicate approach when cleaning.
- It is recommended to place a piece of nylon screen, weighting it down with something heavy, then vacuum over the screen.
- These rugs need to be professionally cleaned once a year.
- Direct sun and constant foot traffic can cause uneven wear. Be sure to turn these rugs often to prevent damage.
- Learn as much as you can from the seller on caring for these types of rugs. They don’t always have a manufacturers label as they may be hand crafted.
- If using a commercial cleaning product, always perform test in a small area on the rug to be sure the product will not damage the rug.
Note on dust removal:
When thinking of area rugs requiring professional home cleaning services, Brisbane has several companies who provide carpet and area rug dry cleaning services. This process is effective in cleaning the rug while killing germs, bacteria and mold. The dry cleaning system has been approved by the National Asthma Council and has been deemed the better choice of carpet and rug cleaning processes for people who suffer with asthma and allergies. Using up to 90% less moisture than tradition carpet cleaning process, there is no need to wait for moisture to evaporate which leaves the rug ‘walk on ready’ in an hour or two.
Author Bio: Mark Long is an expert when it comes to professional cleaning. As the owner of a janitorial service company, he enjoys sharing his knowledge and expertise by writing niche articles for carpet dry cleaning methods being used by professional house cleaning services in Brisbane.