This post was written by us through activation with HireInfluence on behalf of Simply Self Storage. Although we received compensation for participating in the campaign, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Storage while remodeling your home
I often write about home decor, interior design, how to declutter, tips on staying organized and ideas for DIY projects, so when I saw an e-mail asking a few questions about it, I didn’t think much of it. The question was from a woman who was having her floors refinished (we did this last year, too) and she was asking for suggestions on what to do with her things during that time. I wanted to offer her the suggestion of what we did, but I thought I’d write it here so others could use it, as well. Today I am partnering with Simply Self Storage to give you my best tips.
Last year, when we decided to take the carpeting out of our living room and replace it with hardwoods, and at the same time have the floors refinished, I knew we were in for a mess… with a lot of packing and moving involved. With four kids, two dogs and a cat, it ended up being a GREAT decision.
We had to move all of the furniture, etc… somewhere else for ten days (we were having our stairs refinished, as well, and this was going to take some time). Luckily, we were planning on traveling during that time, so the mess wasn’t going to bother us or interfere with our daily living.
You have a few options for storing your things when you are doing a renovation project. You just have to decide which one is best for you & your needs.
Options for storage while remodeling
1- Use one room in your house (unfortunately this wasn’t going to work for us because the rooms needed to be emptied and the only rooms that weren’t being emptied already had furniture in them)
2- Rent a Storage Container (my main hesitation with this is if you are not going to be home to monitor it/keep an eye on it, or if it needs to be climate controlled, you are out of luck).
3- Use a Self-Storage Solution (This is a great solution). You move everything out of the house & into the self-storage solution. Simply Self Storage is a great option for projects like this because they are a self-storage company that has everything you need all in one place (trucks, boxes, packing supplies) to make it a little easier on you.
A few things to look for when looking for self-storage options… and the reason that we suggest Simply Self Storage since they have all of these things.
What to look for in Self-Storage Options:
- 24/7 camera surveillance
- Individual access keys
- Auto pay – convenient payment options
- Convenient locations
- Competitive pricing
- Climate controlled units
- Easily accessible drive-up units
- Parking spaces
- Knowledgeable staff: Simply Self-Storage has a great staff that can help with any issue & guides you in the right direction).
Tips for storing items during a renovation:
- Label Your Boxes: What room does it belong in and what is inside of the box? This is the key to unpacking quickly once the renovation is completed.
- Put the bigger items in first (and in the back). Sofas, tables, and chairs.
- Be sure to use bubble wrap on all of your valuable items.
- Cover your mattresses and furniture.
- Box things up the way that you will unbox them at home. I took things that were grouped together at home and just put them all in the same box.
- Don’t pack what you don’t need to pack. I took end-tables still filled (I didn’t empty the drawers), etc… because it was just saving time. If it was too heavy, we emptied the drawers, but if it could be moved while filled, we moved it.
Remember, if you pack well and if everything is properly cared for while it is in storage, your move back in after the renovation will be a breeze. 🙂
Grab Our One-on-One Time Calendar
I'd love to send you 30 days of One-on-One time Ideas for you & your child!
Please enter your info below & I'll send it to your email inbox. 🙂