This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I love to be outside, so when Sears asked me to partner with them to share tips on creating an Outdoor Oasis, I jumped on the chance.
My husband and I live in North Carolina, with our four sweet kids and if you have kids… you know that you spend a lot of time outdoors! I love to sit on our back porch and our front porch and watch the kids play for hours (I’d say that I join in for hours – but I just don’t have the energy of our kids anymore, so I do a lot of playing AND a lot of watching! haha!)
Sears Outdoor Living and celebrity designer Ty Pennington have teamed up to offer 7 secrets to the art of creating the perfect outdoor oasis.
- Ty Pennington’s 7 Secrets to Creating an Outdoor Oasis:
- Build your base, add over time – I need to take a lesson from Ty Pennington and from my friend, Samantha – they both say that it is OK to buy it all at once, but to truly see your personality shine and give your space character, you can build over time and not rush into things! Fortunately, the Ty Pennington Style Parkside Collection has 20 matching outdoor necessities – from a loveseat and ottoman to a dining table, umbrella and even a resin wicker swing. It allows you to make additions to your set on your own time. For our home, we waited four years for these rocking chairs (they were a gift from my parents):
- Get to grilling – Having a grill space outside is really a great idea. You can get something that works for everyone, like the Kenmore 4 Burner Gas Grill.
- Welcome small spaces – Think your condo balcony or ocean-side deck is too small for outdoor entertaining? Think again. For an intimate yet eclectic look and feel, consider the extensive line of bistro and bar sets available at Sears. They are easily customizable and ideal for dining for two. My parents have these at their house, outside, and it really adds a cozy feel to the space! You can even add a little room divider with plants if you want to separate your area.
- Go green and add some color – Nothing dresses up a patio faster than plants and flowers. Many planters at Sears coordinate with our patio collections. We refresh our patio with new pillows on the front porch and new rugs and cushions on the back porch.
- Make your move, weigh your priorities – If you are moving this summer, just match your decor to your new area – or don’t! Friends laugh, but my mom and I both love to decorate with beach decor… even though we live at the beach. The beach brings us happiness… what can I say? I have beach decor on our screened-in back porch, too (its just an added way that I make my Sears resin weave La-Z-Boy Charlotte 4 pc. Seating Set even more comfortable!)
- Dine with family and friends – So I have always wanted the Kenmore 5-Burner Island Gas Grill with Refrigerator because it is a grill with an outdoor refrigerator! This is a fun way to be outside and stay outside. Our family loves to eat outside – it reminds me of eating on our porch when I was little.
- Consider your climate – The most popular patio sets on the market are made with either aluminum or steel. Steel is heavier than aluminum but can rust over time. Aluminum is naturally rustproof and generally requires less maintenance. For added protection, make sure your patio set has a heavy duty powder-coated frame if you choose steel.My husband’s bonus tip: CLEAN with a pressure washer! It makes a HUGE difference!My husband wanted me to add a final tip – CLEAN your porch and stairs every year (he uses a pressure washer).
Do you want to update your outdoor space? Enter to win!
Enter here: at ShopYourWay.com/SearsPatioSweep