I am so excited to be a part of this sponsored campaign for #playon with BAND-AID® and NEOSPORIN® through The Motherhood, because play is pretty much of life right now (with four kids ages 8 & under).
Did you know that kids who play do better in school. Kids who play develop the skills that are linked to learning. Play improves attention, attitudes, creativity, imagination, memory and so much more! Did you know that kids who have more than 15 minutes of recess time, per day, behave better in class, too? The worst part is that recess is being removed from schools as a result of academic testing!
We need to encourage play! I love to take time to play with our kids. We make things, we play dress up, we go outside and ride bikes. Play is important. I am a play therapist and I see the power of play every day.
Playtime can be so easy- think of just making something today. I made a cute little construction paper purse with our daughter, Allie, and you would have thought that I bought her the best new purse at the store. She loves it! She even filled it with BAND-AID® Brand Adhesive Bandages (because that is what I keep in my purse! haha)
MY LATEST VIDEOS
To make the purse, first fold in the corners:
Next fold it in half:
Staple the sides together:
Add on a little handle (I just stapled it on the inside of the one side to the inside of the other side)
Let your child decorate it with stickers or marker and fill it with some things that remind them of being a grown-up and things that they can play with (like BAND-AID® and sunglasses and even spare keys that you don’t use anymore):
I fill my own purse with these things things, so I wasn’t surpirsed that she wanted them in hers. I let her carry around the NEOSPORIN® box, but I kept the tube of NEOSPORIN® in my purse.
BAND-AID® Brand and NEOSPORIN® Brand understand that the ability to play, create and discover is crucial to development during all stages of life, so they developed the #playon campaign. It is committed to helping families live more balanced playful lives! They are partnering with KaBOOM! and Tamera Mowry-Housley to not only encourage active play, but ensure that families nationwide have the tools to get out there and tackle new adventures. (They are doing this by giving away a first aid kit at participating stores. You should grab one because 53% of parents are not prepared for an injury and 43% of accidents happen outside of the home. I keep mine in my car!)
OTHER IDEAS FOR PLAY TODAY:
- Turn getting ready to go to the park into a game or a scavenger hunt as you pack all your first aid essentials with your family, including must-haves from BAND-AID® Brand and NEOSPORIN® Brand.
- Use everyday household items such as BAND-AID® Brand Bandages with your favorite characters (i.e. Mickey or Star Wars) as stickers, accessories, or for crafting. Even boxes can be creatively transformed into toys.
- Encourage kids to play “doctor” with stuffed animals, so they can learn how to treat imaginary boo-boo’s with BAND-AID® Brand Adhesive Bandages.
- Play tic tac toe with everyday items such as brooms if you’re in the house, sticks if you’re outdoors, and everyday household items like BAND-AID® Brand Adhesive Bandages boxes and NEOSPORIN® Brand tubes as the X’s and O’s.
- Demonstrate creativity, exploration, physical activity, friendship, and adventure with your little at home one by capturing your moments of play with photographs. Our kids LOVE to see themselves in photos!