After-school snack ideas
Every day when our kids get home from school, they run into the kitchen looking for a snack. They are hungry and will grab whatever is easy. If there were cookies on the table, they’d grab cookies. If there were apples on the table, they’d grab an apple.
When they run home after school, asking that question “Can I have a snack?” I just say “There are snacks on the table.”
They used to whine or complain when they would see vegetables out for them, but now they are used to it and they don’t say anything. Plus, I’ve added fruit & yogurt to their snack choice, so they are always happy to have their pick.
Some after-school snack options that I give them:
- Stonyfield Organic YoKids Cups: Stonyfield® YoKids® is the #1 Organic Kids Yogurt! Because Stonyfield YoKids yogurts are certified organic, that means each cup is always made without the use of toxic persistent pesticides, artificial hormones, antibiotics, and GMOs. Organic Certification matters because just calling something natural isn’t a guarantee. You can learn more here.
- Carrots – you can serve these with ranch dressing or hummus. Our kids love both options!
- Stonyfield Organic YoKids Pouches – Stonyfield Organic YoKids has between 25% to 40% less sugar than the leading kids’ yogurt.
- Stonyfield Organic YoKids smoothies
- Stonyfield Organic YoKids squeezers
- Frozen Stonyfield Organic YoKids squeezers: You can even freeze them and use them as ice cream pops! Our kids LOVE this! These Frozen YoKids squeezers make perfect nutritious after-dinner treat alternative!
We love Stonyfield YoKids® yogurt: the cups, pouches, tubes & smoothies are all a hit with our kids. It’s convenient and the perfect grab-and-go snack, which works for us on days when they come home & we have to run an errand or if I need something that is portable.
Since these foods are healthy, I don’t have to stress so much at dinnertime. I don’t have to say “finish your plate” because they have had some healthy appetizers when they came home from school.
How to get started:
- Run to your favorite store and grab fruits, veggies & Stonyfield Organic YoKids. I try to get enough to last us a school week. (Example: Our kids eat a total of 4 YoKids, 2 green peppers and a handful of carrots, cucumbers or celery at each sitting, so I stock up. Try anything that you think your kids would like and maybe throw in something new.)
- Cut the vegetables up on day 1. Use some & put the rest in a baggie or in an air-tight container for tomorrow.
- Keep the YoKids in the refrigerator (or the squeezers in the freezer) until the kids are almost home.
- When they are close to home, grab everything & put it on the table.
- Let them dig in & eat whatever they want (only put out the amount that you want them to eat)
- I leave this out until dinnertime. The YoKids is gone right away, but the leftover veggies stay on the table. My kids will just walk by & grab a pepper slice or orange slice. A few minutes, later, they’ll do it again.
I try to choose foods that they will love. I always go for Stonyfield YoKids yogurt because it has lower sugar. It is made with USDA organic, non-GMO ingredients, so it is certified organic: each cup is always made without the use of toxic persistent pesticides, artificial hormones, antibiotics, and GMOs. Organic Certification matters because just calling something natural isn’t a guarantee. Do you want to know more? Read about it here.
Serving these healthy snacks helps to hold them over until dinner & fills their belly with better food! Eating Stonyfield Organic YoKids is just another way to help.
Plus, I love knowing that our family is supporting a company that is looking out for the world. Their sponsorship of the Association of Zoos & Aquariums’ (AZA) SAFE (Saving Animals From Extinction) program is bringing kids face-to-face with endangered animals, and educating children about endangered species. It’s just another example of Stonyfield’s commitment to a healthy planet. You can find out more about how they work to help animals in this post that I wrote here.
—>>>>Look on pack for information on a chance to win a family trip to South Africa!