This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Do you want to know 5 ways to save money in 2015? I hope that these get you on the path towards your goals!
With the dawn of a new year many people start to think of resolutions and how to be better in the upcoming months. One of the best goals that you can set for yourself is to start saving money and building a savings account. Although it may be difficult to save money in the new year, if you have a plan and stick to it you can be successful in reaching those goals.
This is a great time to re-think your finances and find ways that you can cutback each month, so that you will be ready for an unexpected expense. Below you will find 10 ideas to help you save money in the new year.
Ways to Save Money in the New Year:
1. Create a budget. This is one of the best ways to save money. A budget allows you to gain control of your finances be seeing exactly where you are spending your money. If you already have a budget, revise it to fit your lifestyle and expenses. Find out where the majority of your money is going each month and figure out how you can cut down on those expenses. Many people do not realize how much money they spend on fast food and entertainment. You can print a copy of my template to get started.
2. Shop smart. Even if you do not coupon there are ways that you can save money on your grocery bills each month. Always have a shopping list when you go to the grocery store. This will help prevent impulse purchases. Also, be sure to check for sales and compare prices. Finding the best prices at each store will ensure that you are maximizing your savings. You can decorate like you have a million bucks even when you are on a budget!
3. Meal plan. Not only will meal planning help you to save money on your groceries but it will cut the cost of the money you spend on eating at restaurants. Eating more at home can really help you to save money in the new year. This also goes for anyone who purchases lunches at work. Start to pack your lunch each day to cut back on how much money you spend on a weekly basis.
4. Second income. Even though you may not be interested in getting a second job it is a great way to save money in the new year. You could consider a side job or part-time work so that all the extra money that you make can be put away into a savings account.
5. Pay off debt. This is easier said then done. But, you can save money in the new year by putting any extra income you have toward your bills or other debt you have accumulated. As tempting as it is to splurge when you have extra money it is best to pay off your debt – pay off your credit card bills or pay an extra payment on your mortgage.
This year I am going to make the resolution to save money in the new year and I am going to stick to it. If you want to make this same resolution use some of my tips above to get started. When you are tempted to break the resolution to save money in the new year just think of how good it will feel to be financially secure at the end of the year. This time next year you could have extra income and maybe even an emergency fund.
This book can get you started in the right direction:
A few more posts that might be helpful:
1- Save up your emergency fund quickly
2- How to transition to staying home (money)
How are you going to save money in the new year?
Addi Ganley is a full-time blogger and writer at , where she offers a fresh perspective on frugal living and provides various options to earn an income from home. She focuses on how to make money either full-time or part-time and teaches people about money management on a tight budget.