Everyone knows that drinking water is a struggle for me. It’s not just me… it’s kind of a genetic thing. hahaha! My mom doesn’t drink much water and I can’t remember seeing my grandma with anything other than a can of Diet Coke in her hand, either. So, it came as no surprise that I didn’t tend to drink much water, either.
However… I told Mickey that I would try to drink more (he always worries that I’m not drinking enough water)… So starting April 1st, I joined the 50 Strong 30 Day Hydration Challenge. So far, so good (yes, really). 64 ounces a day. Wow- that was a lot of water for me. It meant that instead of waking up and reaching for my first can of diet soda, I was waking up and reaching for my water bottle.
So- I had read that Ashley Thompson, the CEO of 50 Strong, really dislikes drinking water. The ironic part is that she runs a water bottle company. It made her just a little more relatable. lol! So during the month of April 2017, she took on a personal challenge to get her 64oz. of water in daily. I saw it on Facebook and decided to join in. I got her the Simply Better Bottles and everyone in family joined in. (You can enter on the FB page to win your own Simply Better Bottles)
Here is Beau holding our water bottles, before our first day (we got a bottle with a straw that gets Every Last Drop™, A bottle that fits ice, One that mixes, but doesn’t leave clumps in your protein shakes… for Mickey, and more. I liked the colors & patterns.- especially the Gym Bottle, with a secret pocket to hold your cards, cash and keys. Oh! and the kids have learned that they can swap lids- all of the bottles have mix ‘n’ match parts, including interchangeable tops). They are made in the USA, they are BPA free & they are dishwasher safe (and under $13 each!). Grab one here.
Here are some tips:
1- Drink it at room temperature. I don’t know why, but I drink SO much more water when I am drinking it at room temperature.
2- Use a straw. Grab one of the bottles with a straw- it seems to go down faster.
3- Just chug it. Just know that you can do this & drink as much as you can at one time.
4- Every time that you are hungry, drink water first. (Not only will you drink more, but you will eat less)
5- Add lemon. I found that squeezing half a lemon into one of these bottles and then adding water makes it taste better.
6- Get a fun new water bottle. I got one for everyone in our family (and an extra one for protein shakes)
7- Have a drink every hour, on the hour. When you see that the hour has changed, go get a BIG drink of water.
8- Add crushed ice. Now I like to drink mine at room temperature, but Mickey loves to drink water with crushed ice.
9- Drink it after every bathroom break. (Trust me… if you are drinking 64 ounces of water a day, you’ll have a lot of bathroom breaks!)
10- Drink it first thing in the morning, if you can stomach it. It will get that first big gulp out of the way.
Want a few more fun water facts?
- Water is essential! A person can live without food for a month but only a week without water.
- Don’t wait. Your body is already getting dehydrated by the time you’re thirsty. Try to drink the recommended 64 oz. every day to feel your best and boost your energy.
- Look younger. In addition to feeling great, staying hydrated can help you look great by reducing wrinkles and improving the look of your skin.
- Prevent overeating before the first bite. Drinking a glass of water before meals is an easy way to curb your appetite.
- Burn more calories. Water can speed up your metabolism and help burn up those unwanted calories while also cleansing the body of toxins.
- Ensure a better workout. Water helps build muscle tone and prevent against cramping, allowing you to work out harder and longer.
Do you want to join me for the water challenge? Join here.
In the meantime… a few more posts you might like: