Thank you to First Alert for sponsoring this post as part of the Mom It Forward Influencer Network. It is such an important issue
Last year, I read a heart-breaking story about a ten-year-old child and his mother, found dead from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless and deadly gas that can be produced by any fuel-burning device, such as a furnace, boiler, stove and, of course, cars. Known as “the silent killer,” CO poisoning is the number one cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the United States. This little boy and his mother were staying at a hotel with an indoor heated pool. They were in the room above the pool and never woke up.
It makes me sad to think about that story, or to share that story today, but it has stuck with me and probably always will because it was preventable and because I have kids that age. Since hearing of that story, I have started taking our own portable CO alarms with us on every vacation.
It scares me because you don’t know about the CO poisoning until it is too late since it can’t be seen or smelled. The symptoms mimic those of many other illnesses, including nausea, headaches, dizziness, weakness, chest pain and vomiting. In more severe poisoning cases, people may experience disorientation or unconsciousness, or suffer long-term neurological disabilities, cardiorespiratory failure or death.
CO alarms are the only way to detect this poisonous gas, yet nearly half of Americans report not having CO alarms in their homes. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, carbon monoxide poisoning is the number one cause of accidental poisoning in the United States and is responsible for an average of 450 deaths and more than 20,000 emergency room visits each year.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends that carbon monoxide (CO) alarms should be installed on each level of the home and in a central location outside each bedroom. To put this in perspective, the average-sized home in America – a two-story, three-bedroom house – needs a minimum of four CO alarms. Make sure alarms are installed at least 15 feet away from sources of CO to reduce the chance of false alarms.
January is National Carbon Monoxide Safety Month, and the perfect time to stop the silent killer in its tracks by taking measures to ensure your home is properly equipped with working CO alarms. First Alert has a variety of alarms to fit each home’s specific needs and, most importantly keep families safe:
- The PRC710V provides both smoke and CO protection. It also has a 10-year battery and features both voice and location technology
- The CO710 is a nice table-top addition, uses a digital display with temperature and can be easily added to any room
- The CO615 is a plug-in alarm with battery backup with digital display
- The CO400 is an easy-to-use, battery-operated alarm with a wall mount
Did you know that studies have shown children between the ages of six and ten wake more easily to a voice than to the traditional audible beep of an alarm? I think that is a very significant point because I want our kids to wake up immediately if there is a danger in our house. If you have young children, trying using a smoke and CO combination alarm. First Alert has one that features both voice and location technology called the PRC710V.
Here are some tips to keep your family safe:
- If your CO alarm ever sounds, leave the home immediately and call 911.
- NEVER leave your car running in an attached garage EVEN if the door is open. CO emissions can leak into the home.
- NEVER use charcoal grills, camp stoves, generators, or other similar devices inside.
- Run kitchen vents or exhaust fans any time the stove is being used.
- If you have to use an electric generator, be sure to have it at least 15 feet from your home.
-Have all of your fuel-burning appliances checked regularly, by a professional, to be sure you don’t have any CO leaks.
- Check that all of your CO alarms are working correctly (check batteries, be sure they are plugged in all the way, etc…) If you have a CO alarm like the CO710 or the PRC710V, they have a 10-year sealed lithium battery that never needs to be changed for the life of the alarm. It is still essential to test it, even though you won’t need to replace the battery.
- Visit First Alert’s website to find a legislation map to learn your state’s specific CO requirements.
Do you want WIN this prize pack (below)?
- 10-Year Combination Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Voice and Location Alerts (PRC710V) (MSRP: $59.99)
- 10-Year Alarm Life Carbon Monoxide Alarm (CO710) (MSRP: $49.95)
- Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Battery Backup & Digital Display (CO615) (MSRP: $38.49)
- Battery Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarm (CO400) (MSRP: $18.99)
- Total retail value: $167.42
HOW TO BE ENTERED TO WIN:
Leave a comment below telling me one thing you found interesting in the facts shared above (for me, it was that fact that most kids don’t wake up as easily for alarms as they do to voices.)