If you are just visiting this post, read about how I trained our three boys to use the potty in three days (all before their second birthdays). Read it HERE. Or move onto how to potty train at night below.
I just wrote a new book, Potty Train in a Weekend, and I wanted to share a little bit from the book… I hope that it helps you. If it does, consider buying the book to get all of the details and break-downs. It is 71 pages packed-full of potty-training information!
So- night training SNEAK PEEK:
First, just know that some kids are not capable of this until they are older. Our first son was trained to pee at night at one. Our second son is four and still has accidents at night. I will tell you HOW to train them, but as our Doctor has told us, if their body is not physically ready to wake them at night or to hold the urge to urinate for 12 hours, there is nothing that you can do about it.
Are they ready? Do they wake up with a dry or almost dry diaper?
- To train our kids at night, I put their training potty in their room, on a few towels. I put them in a diaper, turned out the lights and we practiced several times going to the potty.
- When they turned three, I stopped this and taught them to use the bathroom instead. (Put a gate on the steps to be sure that they don’t fall down on accident when walking to the bathroom.) If you are looking for some tips on KEEPING THEM DRY- check them out in my book. I have a chapter on night-training and I will tell you how we accomplished this with 2 of our 3 potty trained kids.
- Stop drinks a few hours before bed. If our kids are thirsty, they can have milk. I have found that drinking water causes accidents, if it is close to bedtime. Milk doesn’t seem to do that.
- Caffeine affects our children with potty training, as well. Cut it out while training.
I’m sure you have some awesome advice, so leave it in the comments to help other parents reading this post! (Or leave it on our Facebook page, where we are discussing it)
Here are some more posts in my potty training series that you might find helpful:
- Best Potty Training Toilet
- Potty Train your Toddler in 3 days
- Potty Training Hurdles
- Potty Training at night
- Potty Training boys sitting or standing
I hope this sneak peek was able to help you, from my ebook Potty Train in a Weekend. It is full of so much advice from me (broken down into more details) and even advice from other Moms. It is 70 pages of everything you need to know to potty train in three days. Check it out here: Potty Train in a Weekend.
Picture source for top of page: foxnews