Fall is all around us… School is back in session, leaves are falling, the air feels cool & crisp in the mornings. Lets warm up with this Bread Pudding…
1½ Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Bauli Panettone
3 cups heavy cream
8 extra-large egg yolks
2/3 cup real maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
Whipped heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2. Remove crust from the Panettone and cut into 1″ squares.
3. On a large baking sheet, arrange the Panettone squares in an even layer, and place in center of oven. Bake until crisp and lightly toasted. Remove from oven and transfer to a buttered 8″x10″x2″ dish.
4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks, maple syrup, vanilla and cinnamon until fluffy. Add the cream and whisk until well blended. Pour mixture over the toasted Panettone squares and set aside until soft and thoroughly soaked with the custard, turning them occasionally.
5. Cover the baking dish with buttered foil, piercing foil with a few small holes to allow steam to escape. Set the pudding inside a larger baking dish and then place in oven, adding hot water to the larger pan until it reaches halfway up. Bake for about 1 hour or until the custard is just set-an inserted toothpick should come out clean. Remove dish from water bath and place on a rack to cool slightly.
6. Dust with powdered sugar and cinnamon, and cut into 2½” squares.
Optional: Top each with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprig of mint, if it’s in season.